Monday, July 17, 2023

British Mysteries are for Me

 


I have to admit that I am hooked on British mysteries. Most anything the BBC cooks up is perfect for me! Believe me, I have tried to find mysteries to watch on Hulu. What is advertised as a light mystery often turns into dreadful, bloody, haunting fare, sometimes with zombies, to boot! I have about given up on the US studios and streaming studios with their over-the-top mystery fare.

Give me  good old Agatha Christie’s “Poirot” or her “Miss Marple” any day over most US mystery shows. The BBC has produced dozens of intelligent, interesting mysteries. Besides the renowned Agatha Christie and "Sherlock Holmes" films are: “Father Brown”, “Midsomer Murders”, “Vera”, "Death in Paradise", “Pie in the Sky” and many other quality shows. You can even see women, and not always Hollywood Barbie types in the lead detective roles, like with “Vera”. How refreshing!

As summer progresses, I will probably watch more British mysteries in the evenings when I am winding down before going to bed. I hope I don’t run out of these engaging series. I would not be happy to have to resort to American mysteries. It seems every time I think I have landed on a decent show, all of a sudden it degrades into a horror film with images of brutal, graphic murders or zombies stalking a city. Yuck!

It would be instructive to find out why American cinema has so degenerated. One thinks it is to keep viewers engaged and scintillated as they are dragged into sheer terror on screen. Why does the American viewing public seem to require blood and gore in order to be entertained these days? Perhaps there is a connection with the ever-increasing rate of brutal and bloody mass murders happening in this country. In Great Britain the police don’t even carry guns, and mass murders are so rare that it is hard to find an example in that country. What have we come to in the United Stares? Why are many so bloodthirsty and depraved in their viewing habits?

I am pondering this question as I turn on BritBox to watch another installment of “Pie in the Sky”.

 

 



1 comment:

  1. I too appreciate a good story, particularly a mystery. I don't need or want the blood and gore. I want a compelling, well crafted story. I hope you don't run out of BBC shows.

    ReplyDelete