Sunday, January 1, 2023

Rivers I Have Known




New Year’s Day, 2023, seems like a good time to jumpstart my blog.  Previously, I chose to write on political and social justice topics. Starting this year, I want to focus more on personal topics. So here goes a simple blog…

 Today I finished reading Mark Twain’s Life on the Mississippi, which I have been reading for over 2 years, only a page or two a day. Twain fascinates me, although this isn’t my favorite book of his. Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer I enjoyed much more. I read both of these works as a child, so I don’t recall many details from either. What I do remember is his humor, the strong characterizations, and vivid descriptions of the environment. Life on the Mississippi has humor, and both strong characters and vivid descriptions, yet it is disjointed.

 The first half of the book is about Twain’s apprenticeship as a steamboat captain before the Civil War. The second half chronicled a trip Twain took 50 years later on a steamboat from St. Louis to New Orleans. It would have worked better as two books. Twain’s best works, in my opinion, are his short stories, like” The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County” and “The Man that Corrupted Hadleyburg”. However, Tom Sawyer is quite well organized, mostly devoid of the diversions found in Huckleberry Finn, Life on the Mississippi, and his other novels.

 Anyway, Twain took me all along the Mississippi River so that I could see it through his eyes as living, breathing, ever changing, and the life blood of sailors, those who lived near the river, and those whose livelihoods depended on fishing, or carrying cargo up or down river. I went aboard The Delta Queen Steamboat, which was moored on the Ohio River near Louisville, Kentucky in the summer after my high school graduation. Well, I don’t mean to write a book review.

 I am nostalgic for the days when rivers were more important, when rivers were not so polluted with factory and other waste. My next bathroom reading book is The French Broad by Wilma Dykeman. Might as well learn a bit about the main river in this area. I know that Cherokees used to race up and down this river before Buncombe County was settled by whites. It is too polluted now for fishing or canoe races, sadly.

 So it goes, as fellow Hoosier, Kurt Vonnegut, would say. As a child in Shelby County, Indiana, I spent many hours on the banks of the Big Blue and Little Blue Rivers, Sugar Creek, and Flat Rock River, fishing with my dad. I knew those rivers. I miss them. Guess I will revisit Blue River in Charles Major’s Bears of Blue River, about life in my hometown around the turn of the 20th century.

 All these rivers to follow…Shall I take a dip in one? I can do that vicariously when I read, in my mind’s eye. So can anyone who reads.  Here’s to more reading in 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment